June 20 2020
A miracle has happened. I have been firing my dirt/borate glaze to cone 8 since 1973 so I can get the iron red when re-firing it to cone 1. Today I took a mug out of the test kiln and got iron red at cone 5, my preferred temperature. I hope this holds up. I have finished the 100 empty bowls for the charity drive, the 24 mugs for Farm and Home and the last of the 12 mugs for the coffee company are in the kiln that finished this afternoon. Now I don't have much to do. Pat and I went towards Dayton to dig some clay along the rail road tracks. It wasn't very good by itself but I have mixed it with Lincoln 60 and will test it out. Glazes are still a problem. I need to look through my stack of buckets of glaze and find the dirt wood ash one. I it will happen I suppose, eventually. Had a good week.